Grand opening for Habana at The Irvine Spectrum is here! Monday, November 13th! We love the Orange County staple for Cuban food in Costa Mesa. But for those of us in south OC, the highly anticipated opening at The Spectrum has arrived. We were treated to the soft opening in mid-October, and then returned to a hosted “Friends and Family” night; and wow, wow, people: we have a feeling that we will be having many boozy “work meetings,” girls’ nights, and date nights at this location. This is going to be one of our regular haunts for drinks and food. It is tucked away in its own little oasis, away from the other expected chain restaurants in the mall. Habana has transformed this mall space into a beautiful and romantic breath of fresh air by erecting a 1950’s style mansion. This elegant cafe is reminiscent of old world Cuban glamour. The interior feels airy with its high ceilings, and the cafe-styled tables are generously spaced apart, while the outdoor seating is romantic. Habana is striving to provide a unique dining experience in Orange County – reasonable and delicious food with a fine dining flair. Let us also sing the praises of the staff: the service is friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable.
On Wednesday, October 18th, artist Kelsey Montague unveiled her “Wings” mural in Orange County at the Village at La Floresta in Brea. Her #WhatLiftsYou project has been sighted all over the world. (Click here to see her Instagram.) Most of us have seen her wings in social media all over Los Angeles. This is most exciting for us OC locals because now we can access her beautiful creation in just a short drive!
Kelsey Montague’s #WhatLiftsYou campaign gives people the opportunity to become a “living work of art” as they pose in front of her wings and share with the world what inspires them most in life. You can see many of these photos on Instagram when you search the hashtag #WhatLiftsYou. What a wonderful uplifting phenomenon!
- At least 1 cup oil (vegetable, canola, or preferably avocado); enough to cover at least 1 inch bottom of pan
- At least 1 dozen corn tortillas
- Several ripe tomatoes
- A small bunch of cilantro
- 1/2-whole jalapeño
- 1 whole lime
- Stack and cut corn tortillas into triangles.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Carefully slide cut tortillas into hot oil, avoid splattering. Do not overcrowd your pan.
- Push around and flip tortillas until golden brown.
- Remove with tongs or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Salt generously while hot.
- Chop several ripe tomatoes and the cilantro.
- Depending on desired level of hotness, finely dice between 1/2 to a whole jalapeño.
- Remove the seeds and inner membrane to reduce heat level, include if you like it hot!
- Combine in a large bowl.
- Roll the lime on a flat surface or cutting board with the palm of your hands to release the juices.
- Cut the lime and squeeze over tomato mixture.
- Add store bought salsa.
- Mix together and salt according to taste.
- Serve with the fresh chips.
Great gift ideas for the cooks in your life:
Did you know that many Asian markets have awesome food courts? Take the kids and visit Mitsuwa Marketplace and eat at the Asian food court. There are two Mitsuwa Japanese markets in Orange County, the larger one is in Costa Mesa and the smaller one is in Irvine. We often go to the mini food court that is at the Irvine Mitsuwa location simply because it is closer to home, but the Costa Mesa location has a much wider variety. First, let’s start with the market. So many options with snacks and already prepared items. This is one of our favorite places to stop to grab a quick picnic lunch; or you can grab something and bring it into the food court to eat. View Post
Halloween at Great Wolf Lodge
We just spent an awesome Southern California staycation, at Great Wolf Lodge in Garden Grove. You can read about it in our recent blog post “Great Wolf Lodge in Garden Grove CA Review: Sip and Slide Means fun for Everyone.” Visit Great Wolf Lodge in October for the Howl-O-Ween celebration between October 1 and October 31. In addition to having a wonderful time with family and friends sipping and sliding, we enjoyed all their Halloween festivities! For more info check out Great Wolf Lodge California’s website.
Here’s a brief slideshow (under 2 minutes) of all our photos. Enjoy and we hope you have a very Happy Halloween!
Thank you, Grace Chen for these amazing photos and video clips! XO